Saturday, February 23, 2013

Four must-consume resources

My whole purpose in having this second blog was to have a place where I posted things more rapidly and less hesitantly than I do on my other blog.  And I've been a miserable failure at that so far.  Back to it!

Lately I've had the luxury of encountering a ton of great things that I want to think more about and pass on to people I'm learning with.  Here are a few for this weekend:

Back to Basics:
My esteemed colleague Kevin Gant recently did a wonderful TEDTalk that is steeped in New Tech Network values and beliefs about education.  Watch and be recommitted and re-inspired.

Pushing the Model:
This 8-minute TED from Ewan McIntosh represents, to me, the next frontier in our work in PBL. As an organization, we have always pushed to make sure that when we teach and learn, we are not doing the most important work FOR our students, but rather helping them to do that work for themselves.  We have long talked about the importance of helping students learn to solve complex problems.  McIntosh pushes us a step further to fact that we really need to develop problem finders. As I think about the evolution of our own model, I am beginning to see PBL as the first big step in transforming our sense of ourselves as learners.  The end-in-mind is independent problem solvers - perhaps the scaffolding for students (or more so the system) is structured problem solvers.
Watch this and then tell me what you think.

Good Question is Better than a Great Answer
New Tech's own Paul Curtis provides a more contextual application and exploration of this notion of divergent and convergent thinking here in his recent blog post.

Finally - something to simple DO ON MONDAY - check out this great video and text from Dylan William on "basketball questioning."  Watch it, you'll get it, and you'll do it.  (So will I).

Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment